Friday, October 16, 2009

The Stepfather




Last night I attended an advanced screening by My33 of "The Stepfather," and I am so glad I didn't pay for that ticket!!

Ok, first let me say that I hate being scared. I can't sleep at night, the paranoia is just intolerable. I should also warn that I am very easily scared. I saw "The Ring" mostly through my sweater, and I screamed and jumped countless times. But, being the masochist that I am, I agreed to go see Stepfather.

Now I've never seen the 1987 movie, but I can assure you that if it's horror, thrills, and fright that you're after, PLEASE skip this year's version.

Now, don't get me wrong, the acting was good quality, and the storyline in and of itself is plausible/amusing, but the execution failed miserably at delivering an exciting, suspensful film.

Why? This couldn't have been a more cookie-cutter "scary" movie. Not one single scene/incident was unpredictable. And the character of the stepfather even came off foolish and his secret sins were messy.

I mean, I know if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but I think this level of predictability certainly needs some work. The music, the clues, the situations, spice it up a bit please!!!!

The only somewhat exciting (although still predictable) part was the final chase between the son and the stepfather.

I actually found myself laughing (not nervously, but mockingly) at various points, and was just happy to see the whole thing come to a [predictable] end. But I do pray to the movie gods that they bury it there and do not produce a sequel.

For those completely unfamiliar with the plot:

A son, Michael, returns from military school to find his mom engaged and living with his soon-to-be stepfather, "David," As they get to know each other, Michael grows suspicious of David's intentions and identity, especially after noticing the great resemblance to a most wanted killer known for murdering his new family.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment